Thursday, 30 January 2014

Zip up bag

I've had this lovely toffee apple fabric for a while but didn't know what to do with it, so when I found this zip up pouch/bag pattern at and I thought it was ideal and I'm really pleased with it.

Dog bed

One of the ladies at work has a four-month-old Jack Russell puppy who comes to work with her, she is adorable, so I decided to make her a bed.

I used all the tiny strips of fabric and wadding I had saved up after I saw a comment about using them for stuffing pet beds.

I used an assortment of fleece off-cuts and some soft corduroy for the backing.

I think she's happy.

Monday, 20 January 2014

Economy blocks finish.

This was a really quick little quilt to make. I think I will use the blocks again, but I think with all the bits the right side with no trimming, as I found that a really boring part.
I wanted to try a different kind of quilting, I did the loop-d-loop with a loop inside each loop and about half way through I decided I didn't like that either. .. then came the binding and I realised I didn't like that either, so I'm really glad it's finished.  I do however,  like the fabrics I used. I used lots of Disney prints with princesses, Winney the Pooh, animals and my favourite which is in the top right corner,  which says Good night little one... very cute.  Bright quilts are a relatively new thing for me, I like autumnal colours the best,  but I will make more things out of bright stuff.

I backed it in a really sweet flowery fabric.

Thursday, 16 January 2014

WiPs that should have been on a Wednesday but where did it go - Thursday.

I cannot believe how quickly this week has gone by, I meant to post yesterday but before I knew it - it was gone.

My latest is those economy blocks and they are really quick and easy to do, I followed the tutorial over at Red Pepper Quilts  and found it really easy and they've come out lovely - even if I do say so myself. I found the trimming part a bit boring, but they really helped in squaring them off and having all sharp corners, so I went with it.

I should have the top all finished by the weekend and hopefully quilted too.

Thursday, 2 January 2014

First post of 2014

Happy New Year to everyone, I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.
I had a nice few days off and with the weather being so rubbish, I stayed in and sewed and I made this in three days.

It has a real antique'y' feel to it and I got to try out some different quilting. I quilted in each of the triangles, did a rose (of sorts) in each of the inner corner stones and leaves all around the cream border - and I have to say I am very pleased with the leaves, especially as if I want to have hearts instead, I just turn it the other way around - bonus!!
(Excuse my slipper in the picture) This is just before quilting and binding - with a scrappy binding of all the colours in the quilt.

This one will be going to my aunt in Wales, as she liked my Nanna's one so much. 

I've now embarked on another quilt, quite an ambitious one, in the number of pieces and the fact it's got tiny triangles and stars etc, so I spent a lovely quiet day cutting up the fabric and the next day I managed to sew 10 large stars, only another 33 to go!